Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Funny Tales from the Man Formerly Known as "Danielle Teacher"

We know it's been a while since we last posted.  Sorry, Katy and I have been busy moving across town to a new apartment and a new job, which officially begins tomorrow.

As we were eating dinner together this evening we were reminiscing of the many experiences from this past year of teaching and as I recalled this particular memory I couldn't help but laugh again.
So I thought I would share it with you...

A few months ago as I was teaching a lesson to a class of freshman, I had just finished presenting the main points of the day and had given them a dialog to practice.  In this particular class of rambunctious boys whenever I gave them some sort of self-guided work I knew that I would need to keep a close eye on them to keep them on task.  I was feeling a little goofy that day though and had been joking around with a couple of students in the front row, when I noticed out of the corner of my eye that some boys were passing a white bottle of lotion around to each other and doing weird things like dipping their pens in it and wiping it on each others arms.  So, I confronted the ring leader holding the bottle.  (A cool kid, who usually found himself a little too cool to pay attention in my class.)  I told him that I was going to take the bottle and tried to convey to him that he could get it back from me after class.  Just before he begrudgingly handed it over to me he poured one last ridiculous amount into his hand and then realized he had taken too much.  He tried to pawn some off on his friends, who didn't want anymore to do with it and then finally offered it to me.

I know that it probably wasn't the most professional thing for a teacher to do to a student,
but I told him that I could use some lotion, but it smelled really bad...and just as I had planned as the kid put his hands up to his nose to smell it, I hit his hands up into his face, which smeared lotion across his nose and mouth and even sent some up into his nostrils.  Without saying a word the student ran out of the classroom toward the bathroom.

Obviously this sent the whole class into pretty loud laughter.  As our laughter started to subside another student from the group said "Danielle Teacher, not lotion...Glue!"  It made me feel bad, but also made me nearly cry with laughter as the student slowly came back, a look of displeasure and defeat on his face.
Needless to say, I called him "Glue-Face" for the rest of the year.

3 comments:

  1. I bet I can make your hand smell like butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word I had to type to post my last comment was "probills." Just so ya' know, I am not.

    ReplyDelete