Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy New Years and Happy 30th!!!

HAPPY NEW YEARS!  This year seems like it has flown by in a lot of ways and a lot has happened.  Danny and I lived in Korea, taught hundreds of Korean kids, traveled to Japan, Malaysia, and the US, ate countless bowls of rice and kimchi, and so much more.  Well, it's New Years, 2012, and it's time to celebrate!  This an exciting start to the year and a big day for Danny and I in many ways: 1) Danny and I are celebrating our 4th wedding anniversary... oh yeah!  2) In exactly 2 months we will be on a plane home...woop WOOP! 3) It's our sister-in-law, Melissa's, birthday (HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEL!) and 4) Danny and I will both celebrate our 30th birthday!!!



"Wait, wait, wait..." some of you might be thinking.  "How can we be turning 30 when we were born in April and October of 1983?!"  It's all due to the interesting system of Korean birthdays.  Let me explain... when a baby is born in Korea, they are already considered 1 year old.  The time a baby spends in the womb is considered part of their age, that is why they count that year. (Different but not too confusing yet, right?)  Here's where it gets really confusing... So Koreans all turn one year older on New Years Day instead of their individual birthday, so if you have a baby on December 31st, that baby is one year old.  Then the next day, New Years Day, that same baby will turn 2 with all the other babies born in that same year.  That means that a baby can be considered 2 years old when it is literally only 2 DAYS OLD! Crazy, huh?!  Hence the fact that Danny and I are 28 in western age and 30 in Korean age.  How old are you in Korean age?

Because of that crazy system, Danny and I both turned 30 Korean age along with all the other people born in 1983 as the clock rang in the new year.  Since it was such a big year, Danny and I decided to do it up right with a lot of good times and good people.



This past week, to celebrate our anniversary, my amazing husband took me to Seoul to see the sights.  We ate some awesome food, saw some cool art, and just enjoyed the city... even though it was FREEZING!  One of the highlights was going to the Seoul Museum of art.  An awesome photography exhibit of aerial photography was going on by Yann Arthus-Bertrand and I was loving it.  (It's there till March if you can make it.)



We also ate the best burgers I have had in Korea, and it is in the Top 10 of burgers in my life at the Smokey Saloon in Itaewon.  I'm usually not a huge fan of going to Itaewon since there are so many other great places to go in Seoul, but hitting up this burger joint and then going across the alley to a All That Jazz to see some live music is a place I wish I would have found a looonnngg time ago.




We haven't gotten to see any live music (besides the horrible death cymbal, and that's more like torture then music) so seeing a Korean sing old time jazz was a huge highlight.  All thanks to Danny's college friend, JP and Da Yeong!


After a great few days in Seoul, we rang in the New Year with some friends from our church in Daegu.  In an upcoming post I will tell you more about the hilarious Korea scavenger hunt we went on, but for now I will just give some highlights of the night. 

2012... Oh Yeah!

We ran all over Andong, went bowling, sang some No Rae Bang, at lots of great food, and literally filled our entire apartment with sleeping bodies.



We didn't know if it would be possible, but Danny and I fit 11 people in our tiny apartment for a weekend and nobody ended up smothered!  Good times! 

You can see 7 out of the 11 we had spend the night!

Over all it was a great vacation week and I'm sad that it's over.  Danny and I have many things to look forward to in the coming months, so I'm not too broken up, although I could use a few more sleep in days if you know what I mean : )


Well I hope you all have a fantastic start to your 2012, the year of the dragon, as well and take every opportunity you have to share lots of adventures with you best friend too!  No Regrets... 2012!!!


P.S.  Did I mention that I married an amazing guy 4 years ago?  Some of you might gag, but I'm going to say it anyways... I love you soooooooooo much Buddy, and I can't wait to see what adventures we will have in the next 4 or 40 more years!   You are the guy I can never get enough of, and I hope you know I love you with all my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment